Saturday, March 13, 2010

News: Golfer Ernie Els is Glad that Tiger Woods is Gone

Ernie Els played a bogey-free round on the Blue Monster on Friday, and scored a 66.

 

MIAMI - There was a time in his career when Ernie Els seemed to be finishing second to Tiger Woods at every major.

Maybe that's why the Big Easy seems to be peaking again. He could have a chance to get even.

"I think it's a good opportunity for a lot of players to basically try and strike now," Els said Friday after a bogey-free round of 66 on the Blue Monster moved him into a one-shot lead in the CA Championship at Doral.

He didn't say why. He didn't have to. With Woods' extended absence, there's no telling what kind of game the world's No. 1 player will bring to the majors and whether he might go another year without winning one.

The door is open and Els is feeling it.

"I feel that the golf courses we are playing this year in majors, I love them," Els said. "I've done well at Pebble (Beach - U.S. Open). I've done well at St. Andrews (British Open) and I did well at Whistling Straits (PGA). I feel if I have my game there, I could have a good chance."

Chance was on his side Friday.

Click to read




No comments:

Post a Comment